The Students’ Society Awards of Distinction are designed to recognize students who have demonstrated a combination of strengths in both extra-curricular activities and academics at McGill University.
Scholarships valued at two thousand dollars ($2000) each, will be awarded. To be eligible, a candidate must be an SSMU member* who will have completed twelve (12) credits during the current academic year (as of April 1st 2017) and be studying at McGill or another academic institution in an undergraduate program in the 2017-18 academic year.
* Graduating students are not eligible
All applications must include the following:
- A brief cover letter with an affirmation of authenticity, signed and dated:
“To the best of my knowledge, I certify that the information on this form is accurate and correct.”
- A Curriculum Vitae that includes a factual and chronological list of an applicant’s principal extra-curricular activities.
- A short (less than 1 page each) response to the following essay questions:(a) What have been your most significant contributions to the quality of student life at McGill University and why? (b) What are your long-term goals and how have your academic endeavours contributed to the achievement of these objectives?
- A self-assessment of financial need, similar to that used by the Scholarships and Student Aid Office (SSAO) in the Brown Building.
- A complete, official transcript from McGill. If you have extenuating circumstances which you would like the selection committee to be know of, please provide the necessary documentation.
- 1 letter of recommendation from an individual who can attest to the significance of the applicant’s contributions to student life,
- 1 letter of recommendation from an instructor at McGill University
Applications can be submitted electronically to the President or in person at the SSMU Office:
3600 McTavish Street, Suite 1200
Montreal, Quebec, H3A 0G3
Deadline for submissions is April 2017 (Exact date TBD).
Please note that no late submissions will be accepted.