A growing number of important health-care services aren’t covered by provincial health care. For many students, paying for these services can lead to financial hardship, while others can’t afford them at all. To help students pay for the health services they need, a student health and dental plan has been put in place by the SSMU. The student Plan is unique in that it helps fill the gaps left by provincial health care, while offering students coverage that is often 3 to 5 times less expensive than that of a private plan.
All undergraduate students in the Fall semester who are members of the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) and who are paying tuition fees at either the Canadian or Quebec rates are automatically covered.
New students starting in the Winter semester are not automatically enrolled in the Plan by the university, but may enroll during the January Change-of-Coverage Period.
International Students are automatically registered for the Blue Cross International Student Health plan upon registration to McGill. Their health plan is administered by McGill University through the International Student Services. In addition, all international undergraduate students beginning in the Fall semester are automatically covered by the SSMU Dental Plan only.
- Health – prescription drugs, chiropractor, physiotherapist, naturopath, and more…
- Dental – checkups, cleanings, fillings, root canals, gum treatments, extractions, etc.
- Vision – eye exam, eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery
- Travel – 120 days per trip, $5,000,000 per incident
- Network Benefits – students covered by the Plan also have exclusive access to the Dental,
- Vision, Chiropractic, and Physiotherapy Networks that offer students reductions on certain services. Students are covered for the insured portion of their Plan regardless of the health practitioner they choose. By consulting a Network member, they will get additional coverage. A complete list of practitioners is available online at www.studentcare.ca.
Policy Year and Claiming
Full-year coverage is from Sept. 1 through Aug. 31. Visit studentcare.ca for a complete list of benefits and information on how to claim.
The fees associated with the SSMU Health & Dental plan are billed directly to your August McGill e-bill. You can view your bill on Minerva.
Enrolments and Opt Outs
- The Plan can be combined with another health and dental plan (e.g. a parent or spouse’s employee benefit plan) to maximize overall coverage and save on health care costs. Alternatively, students may opt out and have the fee credited to their student account. A parents’ insurance plan will typically stop covering you completely if you’re a part-time student over, 21 or a full-time student over the age of 25. As well, other plans usually won’t cover vaccinations, travel insurance, or vision.
- Students can also enroll your family (spouse/dependants) for an additional fee. Common law and same-sex couples are eligible.
- The Change-of-Coverage Period is the period at the beginning of the year when students can either opt out, or enroll their spouse and/or dependants in the Health and/or Dental Plan. Visit www.studentcare.ca at the beginning of the school year for Change-of-Coverage dates. Dates are also published in the Health & Dental Plan brochure, the SSMU handbook, and the McGill Tribune. Enrolments and opt outs can only be processed during the Change-of-Coverage Period.
- Visit www.studentcare.ca and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Note: to respect privacy and confidentiality, only students can make changes to their coverage.
For more information
Member Services Centre: (514) 789-8775 or 1 866 795-4435, Mon. – Fri. from 9 am to 5 pm
2200-1200 Avenue McGill College
Is this your last school year? Once your coverage ends, consider Continuum.
Discover Continuum, an affordable health, dental, vision, and emergency travel assistance insurance Plan designed for students who will be completing their studies this year. Visit www.continuumplan.com for deadlines and details on applying without providing proof of good health.