The Green Fund was created in 2007 in an effort to empower campus members to engage in sustainable initiatives on campus and in their personal lives as well as build a culture of sustainability on campus. The fund offers monetary support to initiatives that reduce the environmental impact of a group, SSMU or the McGill community. All members of SSMU are eligible for funding. Applications will be reviewed by the Finance Committee of the SSMU and funding will be granted in accordance with the following guidelines:
- All projects or initiatives being funded by the Green fee should achieve at least one of the following goals that SSMU has committed to:
- Assess and further the implementation of the SSMU environmental or sustainability policy
- Strive towards minimization of the Society’s negative environmental impact
- Raise awareness within the Society about environmental issues
Any member or group within the membership of the Society who has not opted-out of the fee may seek funding for such initiatives. Applications are accepted throughout the entire year. For more information regarding what constitutes an environmental initiative, please contact the SSMU Environment Commissioners at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SSMU Finance Committee will review your application and determine funding according to the following criteria and regulations:
- Must demonstrate sustainable/environmentally-friendly practices;
- Will not subsidize recycled paper. The Committee will however subsidize the cost difference between choosing biodegradable materials that will cost more than regular materials;
- Will not subsidize food and beverage;
- Consult Environment Commissioner.
The form must be completed in full. Please submit applications to the Funding Committee Coordinator at the SSMU front desk or email it to email@example.com.