Powers and Duties of Executive Officers
- The President is the chief officer and spokesperson of the FYC.
- The President is responsible for calling meetings of the FYC if a weekly meeting time is not agreed upon or if an emergency meeting must be held.
- The President shall chair all FYC meetings.
- The President shall be responsible for preparing an agenda for each meeting of the FYC, to be sent out the executive members ahead of time.
- The President shall, along with the Vice-President External, coordinate relationships between the FYC and SSMU.
- The President shall delegate managerial tasks of planned services and events to members of the FYC.
- The President shall enforce appropriate penalties to any member of the FYC who neglects their responsibilities.
- The President shall be a signing officer for the FYC’s funds.
- The President shall ensure the long-term integrity of the FYC, including that its constitution is upheld and up-to-date.
- The President shall be responsible for preparing the exit report for the incoming officers of the FYC as outlined in Article 22.
Vice President Internal (Previously Vice President Communications)
- The Vice President Internal is responsible for all matters concerning what occurs within the FYC, including:
- Overseeing all forms of communication to its constituents, including forms such as the listserv, the FYC’s website, and social media.
- Coordinating the administration of the FYC, including staffing, room booking, supplies, and office management.
- Maintaining the relationship through health communications between the FYC’s executives, volunteers, and employees.
- The Vice President Internal will serve as the FYC’s ombudsperson; they will handle complaints against the FYC and respond to them without bias.
- The Vice President Internal shall maintain the FYC’s e-mail account and will reply to e-mail enquiries in a timely fashion.
- The Vice President Internal shall update the FYC’s website and social media pages as necessary.
- The Vice President Internal shall aid the President in the task of preparing an agenda for each meeting.
- The Vice President Internal shall serve as a recording secretary during the weekly FYC meetings as follows:
- They are responsible for taking minutes during meetings, sending a digital copy of the minutes to FYC within two (2) days subsequent to the meeting, and making the minutes available to all first year students.
- If a FYC member must miss a meeting, they must contact the Vice President Internal at least 24 hours in advance to be considered excused, except for extenuating circumstances.
- If the Vice President Communications Internal cannot attend a meeting, the Vice President Student Affairs shall assume the role of recording secretary for that meeting.
Vice President External
- The Vice President External shall be responsible for fostering the relationship between the FYC and various faculty, inter-faculty, school, and departmental student associations.
- The Vice President External shall be the representative for all first year students on the SSMU Legislative Council as follows:
- The Vice President External shall sit on the SSMU Legislative Council, attending bi-weekly meetings, and serve on at least two (2) SSMU subcommittees.
- The Vice President External shall evaluate the effectiveness of SSMU services, programs, and activities offered to incoming students and propose improvements to SSMU and communicate them to the SSMU Legislative Council.
- The Vice President External shall communicate to FYC any external issues which may affect McGill University or its students, especially issues that have a direct impact on first year students.
- The Vice President External shall report to the SSMU Vice President Clubs and Services and to the Services Representatives in matters including:
- The archiving of the FYC’s official documentation, such as the constitution and its exit reports.
- Communicating the issues of the FYC involving office space and service inquiries.
Vice President Student Affairs (Previously Vice President Academics)
- The Vice President Student Affairs shall research, evaluate, and debate principles of issues regarding first year student experience including, but not limited to, student engagement, academic policy, post-secondary transition, and orientation issues. These positions shall be communicated to the FYC; thus, the Vice President Student Affairs shall serve as a counselor on all first year student matters.
- The Vice President Student Affairs shall propose strategies to the appropriate administrative authorities in order to address first year student issues to ultimately improve the first year student experience.
- The Vice President Student Affairs shall hold a Town Hall to hear the opinions of first year students regarding first year student matters at McGill University; as such, the Vice President Student Affairs shall:
- Chair the discussions of the Town Hall.
- Ensure the documentation of the data gathered from the discussions of the Town Hall.
- Communicate the results of the Town Hall to the FYC and to the appropriate administrative authorities.
- The Vice President Student Affairs shall promote bilingualism, accessibility, and equity.
- The Vice President Student Affairs shall ensure and maintain a cohesive and strong relationship with the McGill University administration and the university’s student services. This may include attending regular meetings with members of the McGill University administration, whether informal or formal, for the sake of discussing first year student issues.
- The Vice President Student Affairs should serve as an ambassador to the administration representing and advocating on behalf of incoming students and will promote better transition to student, including but not limited to, inclusive orientation activities, accessible academic resources, and social supports.
- In the absence or event that the President can no longer fulfill his or her responsibilities, all Presidential duties are assumed by the Vice President Student Affairs until the President is able to act or until a new President is elected through the by-election.
Vice President Finance
- The Vice President Finance will keep the FYC informed of the financial status of the FYC.
- The Vice President Finance will make the budget, spending, and revenue of the FYC available to all first years.
- The Vice President Finance will remain accountable to the FYC, the SSMU VP Finance and Operations, and the SSMU VP Clubs and Services for all matters of funding.
- The Vice President Finance will oversee and help run all fundraising activities devised by the FYC.
- The Vice President Finance will have access to the FYC bank account and signing power of all funds within.
- The Vice President Finance will coordinate financial interactions between the FYC and the SSMU, including completing all monetary request forms.
- The Vice President Finance are responsible for ensuring the long-term financial stability of the FYC.
- The Vice President Finance will spearhead sponsorship proposals and financial contracts with the help of the President if needed.
Vice President Events (Previously Vice President Internal)
- The Vice President Events will coordinate the programming of the FYC, including:
- Coordinating the events and services offered by the FYC.
- Keeping a calendar of planned events and services.
- Ensuring that the FYC adheres to the above schedule.
- The Vice President Events will organize, coordinate, promote and conduct social, educational, cultural, and political activities or events for the constituency.
- The Vice President Events will be responsible for encouraging and maintaining event-planning collaborations with other first year student groups, including, but not limited to, at least one annual interfaculty event.